Is it normal to have gas? Gas is a normal part of the digestion process. But if gas builds up in your intestines, you have bloating and you are unable to push it out, you may start to feel pain and discomfort. Here are some natural remedies for excessive aerophagia.
Often your gas is caused by what you eat. Food is digested primarily in the small intestine. What is not digested is fermented in the intestines and your colon with bacteria, fungi and yeast, as part of the digestion. This process produces methane and hydrogen, which are expelled in the form of gas.
Review your eating habits
For many people, you only need to change your eating habits to relieve gas and its accompanying symptoms. One way to determine what foods give you gas is to keep a food journal of your meals. The most common culprits of a loaded stomach are :
- Food rich in fiber
- High fat foods
- Fried or spicy foods
- Soft drinks
- Artificial ingredients commonly found in low-carb, sugar-free products, such as sugar alcohol, sorbitol, and maltitol
- Beans and lentils, chickpeas
- Cruciferous vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli
- Prunes or prune juice
- Foods containing lactose, such as milk, cheese, and other dairy products
- Fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols – molecules found in a wide variety of foods, such as garlic and onion, which can be difficult to digest.
- Over-the-counter fiber drinks and supplements
- Once you find out which food is causing the gas, you can change your diet to avoid the culprit.
What are the natural treatments for a swollen belly that can be done at home?
For the first of the anti-gas and bloating remedies, a quick question: Have you ever wondered why almost all Indian restaurants have a large bowl of seeds strategically placed at the exit? No doubt Indian food is delicious, but some of us end up regretting having been there. Therefore, you will often see a bowl filled with fennel seeds on the way out (and they know exactly what they’re doing).
Fennel seed is one of the best natural remedies to prevent farts.
Indeed, the latter is the best home remedy to treat digestion problems. All you have to do for get rid of a swollen belly is to follow these three steps:
- Chew a pinch of fennel seeds
- You can take the value of a tablespoon
- Say goodbye to gas after 2-5 minutes
Fennel is one of the green leafy plants that tastes like black liquorice. If you love licorice, you will love the taste. If the taste is too strong, you can always steep a pinch of seeds in hot water for three minutes and drink this restorative herbal tea.
Hate the taste of licorice? Try these alternatives
Don’t worry, here are some great alternatives to fennel seeds against difficult digestion and swollen belly :
Mint flavored tea
- One of the most popular tips, probably because it works great and tastes great. If you don’t have seasonal allergies, you can add a little chamomile to your tea infusion.
A pinch of caraway seeds
- To be taken like that, alone. (especially chew well)
- Add 1 tablespoon of boiling water and let the herbal tea steep for 2 minutes. Drink slowly.
- Pour boiling water over 3 clove heads and let steep for 10 minutes.
- You can drink a cup of ginger tea, or just chew on a piece of ginger.
- Another option is to add 5 drops of ginger essential oil in 2-3 tablespoons of carrier oil and rub your stomach.
Try activated charcoal!
- Before the meal against gas and bloating, activated charcoal (or charcoal) is also an effective way.
Homemade anti-stomach ache blend
- A mixture of plants: fennel, cardamom and mint leaves will make a great remedy against pains stomach.
Baking soda and lemon
- Squeeze the juice from one lemon and add a little baking soda.
- It will sparkle, obviously.
- Keep adding baking soda until the effervescence stops.
- Add a cup of water and completely dissolve all the baking soda.
- Drink slowly.
Essential oils against bloating: fennel, ginger, mint, tarragon, cumin, cilantro and anise, work great for any type of stomach ache. You can also rub on the little bellies of your children. And since we are talking about it:
Gas and bloating: remedies for babies, toddlers and children
Chamomile is remarkably effective against gas and bloating, and will be gentle enough to treat a child without going to the doctor.
Magical anti-gas and bloat recipe (for all ages)
The recipe is very simple: Dill, fennel, ginger and chamomile and it can save any mom’s sanity because it works almost instantly!
- Dried dill leaves,
- Pounded ginger bark (do not use for babies and infants)
- Fennel seeds, crushed
- Dried chamomile leaves.
Prepare a mixture of equal parts of leaves, seeds and bark (except for babies), infuse in boiling water for 10 minutes. If you make a large quantity, pour it into ice cube trays, and slip it all in the freezer, so you will have ready-made portions in case of urgent need.
Catnip and fennel
Another option is catnip and fennel infusion. Even newborns can have a few tablespoons of this remedy that can really do wonders. Mint tea is also safe for babies and children.
What if nothing works?
If you have had gas and bloating problems for a long time and no remedy is suitable for you, you should consider that you may be suffering from food sensitivity of some type – especially gluten intolerance or the celiac disease. Many people are prone to it. In addition, bloating and gas, but also migraines, fatigue and flu-like symptoms disappear after a few weeks of gluten-free eating. In this case, it is advisable to make an appointment with your doctor.
If you want to check; just try to eliminate gluten completely for a few weeks and your body will give you the answer.