Table of Contents
Slow down and reduce hair loss associated with chemotherapy
Undergoing chemotherapy is itself a difficult ordeal, the body weakens and its immune system becomes fragile. The whole organism is turned upside down. In addition, during this period, morale inevitably takes a hit, especially when the first physical signs start to become visible. One of the nasty side effects is hair loss.
Also there are Chinese natural remedies that use plants and acupressure to help the body regenerate itself, here we have grouped together those that reduce the impact of chemo on hair loss, they can slow it down, or even reverse it in certain people or certain types of cancer.
Chinese herbs to “stop” hair loss following chemotherapy
Chinese herbs have been used for centuries alone or in combination with other alternative therapies like acupuncture, acupressure and Ayurveda to prevent hair loss, regrow hair and restore the natural pigment of hair that has turned gray. .
Certain herbs help the body to regain its balance. They improve blood circulation on the scalp. The key to limiting hair loss and promoting regrowth. These natural treatments for chemo-related hair loss can last 3 to 12 months or more, depending on the severity of the problem, the length of time the condition persists and the responsiveness of the individual being treated.
Below are listed some of the best hair loss prevention treatments using Chinese herbs. An herbal specialist should be consulted for additional information on how to prepare a tonic.
1. The best herbal remedy to prevent hair from falling out is Fo-Ti,
Also known as He Shou Wu, or by its Latin name, Polygonum multiflorum. This herb has been shown to be effective for hundreds of years, not only in helping with hair restoration, but also in combating gray hair. It strengthens hair, improves blood circulation and reverses the aging process of cells throughout the body.
2. Ganoderma lucidum or Reishi
It is known in Traditional Chinese Medicine to improve kidney energy which affects blood flow. This herbal cure is well known in China as a remedy for immune disorders and helps protect against aging. In China, the Reishi is so well respected that it has been called the ” mushroom of immortality. ”
3. Ligustrum lucidum or Nu Shen Zi improves scalp circulation
It and is considered Yin, a kidney and liver tonic. In China, this herb is said to prolong life and work on the immune system as a blood tonic helping in hair restoration and preventing hair loss.
4. Schisandra chinensis or Wu Wei Zin
It is a well-known herbal tonic used to enhance beauty and as a remedy for baldness. It is one of the most widely used natural hair regrowth treatments, improving the quality of the skin on the scalp and on the rest of the body.
Acupressure to fight hair loss after chemotherapy
Below is the list of acupressure points for hair loss following chemotherapy. You don’t have to use all of these points. Using just one or two of these each time you have a free hand can be effective. (look at the graphs below to locate the acupressure points).
GV20 – Bai Hui – Chinese Name: 百 會
- Location : center of the upper part of the skull, vertically above the highest part of the ears. Cross the midline of the body until you feel a slight hollow.
- Additional benefits : headache on top of the head, dizziness, insomnia, poor memory, hot flashes, epilepsy, mental disorders, good for memory and concentration, ringing in the ears, blurred vision, nasal obstruction, low energy.
Acupressure point K10 – Yin Gu – Chinese Name: 陰 谷
- Location : When the knee is flexed, the point is on the medial side of the hollow encountered.
- Advantages : impotence, hernia, uterine bleeding, pain in the knee, mental disorders, and hair loss.
Acupressure point LV5 – Li Gou – Chinese Name: 蠡 溝
- Location : 7 finger width above the tip of the medial malleolus on the medial edge of the tibia.
- Advantages : environmental toxicity chronic fatigue syndrome, immune deficiency disorders, irregular menstruation, fibromyalgia, dysuria, low energy, urine retention, side effects of radiation therapy and chemotherapy.
Acupressure point UB40 – Wei Zhong – Chinese Name: 委 中
- Location : middle of the transverse fold of the popliteal fossa, between the tendons of the biceps femoris and the muscular tendons.
- Advantages : lower back pain, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, viral infection, bacterial infection, arthritis, fever, hair loss, falling eyebrows, pain in lower limbs, sciatic neuralgia.
It is important to drink plenty of hot water after the massage, to help flush toxic substances from our body.
CAUTION: You should consult a health care practitioner before performing acupressure or using Chinese herbs or other supplementation programs.