Home method to detect lactose intolerance
To find out if you are lactose intolerant, there are several methods that can be implemented without risk :
- Drink 2 glasses of milk in the morning on an empty stomach and observe for symptoms. If so, we can go further.
- In the event of a positive test during the first stage, remove for two weeks any product of dairy origin as well as any other food containing lactose (see below), then observe if the abdominal problems disappear.
- Opt for a easier and faster solution by artificially increasing its lactase level. The enzyme can be obtained from pharmacies in the form of food supplements.
- When the problem subsides, or better, disappears, when you drink milk after having ingested them, the proof is also made … And the solution all found if you want to continue to feast from time to time on rice. milk, homemade mash or your favorite cheese.
- “To be certain of the diagnosis, one can also be prescribed biological examinations by his doctor, in particular a test carried out on expressed air or a simple blood test”, specifies Professor Bénamouzig.
Finding your lactose tolerance threshold …
If you are diagnosed with intoleranceThe solution does not necessarily lie in eliminating lactose entirely from your diet. It is indeed proven that in small quantities, it is quite supported by intolerant people. Elsa (European Food Safety Authority) estimates that intolerant organisms can support 12 g of lactose (25 cl of milk) daily without symptoms and even greater amounts if consumption is spread over the day. There is therefore no reason to deprive yourself of the greatest pleasures, you just have to go slowly to identify the measure not to be exceeded, which varies from one subject to another.
Lactose is (almost) everywhere!
For people who are lactose intolerant, we recommend that you not only cut off the consumption of milk, but also derived foods which are the richest: dairy desserts, yogurts, fresh cheeses, ice cream, crème fraîche.
On the other hand, there is less of it in harder (Comté, Gruyère) and older cheeses. Indeed, the bacteria introduced for their refining (lactobacilli) feed on… precisely lactose.
Completely avoiding this sugar remains difficult anyway: the food industry using it as an additive, lactose is hidden in a considerable number of products (cold meats, chocolate, breads, soups, pastries, pizzas, candies, dressings and even in the beer…). only solution: read the labels carefully and find your tolerance threshold, that is to say the quantity not to be exceeded for better health.