Table of Contents
When the gums turn reddish and swollen, they can make your day unbearable. It’s gingivitis! Gum swelling or commonly known as swollen gums makes your mouth itchy, tender, and sometimes even painful beyond tolerance.
There are several causes of irritated gums. It is important to know the reason, to treat them more effectively with natural remedies.
Swollen gums: the causes
Gum disease, certain foods, nutritional deficiencies, a poor oral hygiene and many other causes can be at the root of your swollen gums.
This well-known gum disease, called gingivitis is the most common cause of swollen gums. In fact, bacteria have caused swelling of the gums, or the gums turn red, swollen and bleed easily. If you don’t care about your oral hygiene and let plaque build up on your teeth and gums, signs of gingivitis may appear. The tartar buildup and gingivitis will give you swollen gums. Swelling of the gums caused by gingivitis is a minor problem, but if it is not treated, it can cause tooth decay and even loss of a tooth.
Periodontitis is the inflammation around the tooth, it is the advanced state of gingivitis. Not treated, periodontitis destroys bones, the gums and the tissues that support the teeth. If you have swollen gums around a tooth, take steps to treat periodontitis quickly, which is a serious infection of the gums which can not only lead to loss of teeth, but also serious health problems like a heart attack or stroke !
Lack of vitamins B and C can also give you swollen gums. Vitamin C has a crucial role to play in the maintenance and repair of your teeth and gums. Lack of vitamin C leads to gum disease and becomes one of the main causes of swollen gums.
There are certain mouth infections which are caused by a virus and fungus like herpes and thrush. They can also cause swelling of the gums. In such cases, treating the swollen gums would actually be treatment of underlying infections.
It is a very common cause of more swollen gums. Hormonal imbalance in the body during pregnancy can lead to swollen gums because there may be more blood flowing to the mouth and gums.
Inflammation of the gums: what natural remedy?
There are different home treatments for swollen gums and to relieve pain, remedes-de-grand-mere.com has selected 11 for their proven effectiveness. Before you start, try cleaning your mouth with thepulling oil to kill bacteria. However, if the problem persists, you should see a dentist to identify the real cause of your gum problems.
- Salt water
- Lemon water
- Clove ET
- Mustard oil
- Ajwain seeds
- Castor oil
- Babul bark
- Baking soda
- Ginger and salt
Let’s see in detail how to use these ingredients to treat swollen gums …
1. Rinse mouth with salt water
Rinsing the mouth with salt water is one of the oldest remedies for swollen gums and still effective today.. Saline water is a natural disinfectant and therefore helps to evacuate microbes that could be the cause of inflammation of the gums.
- Mix ½ to 1 teaspoon of salt in ½ glass of lukewarm water
- Rinse your mouth with this mixture 2 to 3 times a day
2. Lemon water
Fresh lemon is anti-inflammatory and alkalizing which contains nutrients such as calcium, the potassium, vitamin C, vitamin a and pectin fiber. It also has anti-bacterial properties. All of this makes it one of the best remedies for swollen gums.
Its antibacterial properties help you get rid of germs and its nutrients compensate for the lack of minerals and vitamins that could be the source of your swollen gums.
Finally, its alkalizing nature makes the inside of your mouth a difficult environment for (bad) bacteria to survive.
- You can take hot water with freshly squeezed lemon every day.
- You can also rinse your mouth with water and lemon once or twice a day.
3. Clove essence
Cloves are grandmothers’ secret to toothache ! And it can also relieve pain from swollen gums. thanks to eugenol, the volatile oil present in cloves.
Eugenol is has excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which will help soothe swollen gums and also tooth pain!
- Add 2 to 3 drops of essential oil of clove to 1/2 tsp. olive oil and mix well.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mixture.
- Dab cotton against your swollen gums
- Keep in place for a while to get rid of swollen gums and toothache.
4. Garlic (Sent by Ming)
- To combat the swollen and sore gums, I use garlic cut into thin slices applied against the inflamed gum tissue.
- After a few minutes the garlic takes effect and starts to sting, I try to keep it for a few minutes then I remove the garlic and rinse my mouth with salt water
- Garlic is a natural antiseptic.
Very popular alum, is a natural mineral that has several medicinal uses due to its beneficial properties. It is anti-septic and therefore destroys germs. Thanks to its excellent properties astringent, Moon helps the skin tissue to decongest. It is very important for the treatment of swollen gums. This reduces inflammation, and also relieves pain.
- Take alum and grind it into fine powder
- Mix the value of a teaspoon in a glass of lukewarm water
- Rinse your mouth with this solution 2-3 times a day
6. Mustard oil
Mustard oil has excellent anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. In mustard oil, a compound called glucosinolate is an anti-microbial agent.
As it is a strong stimulus, mustard oil massage helps stimulate your blood circulation. So, when you massage your gums with mustard oil, you help stimulate blood circulation and it relieve inflammation and you get added benefit with its anti-microbial properties.
- Take the oil in the palm of your hand, add a little salt and mix well
- Start massaging your gums with this paste of mustard oil and salt
- Massage with only light pressure to stimulate blood circulation. (Too much pressure could make your swollen gums worse)
- Massage your gums for 4-5 minutes
- Rinse off with lukewarm water
- To do twice a day
7. Ajwain seeds
The ajwain, are the seeds of the carambola (you know, that star shaped fruit when cut into slices), it is from the same family as caraway, cumin, and dill. It is a very powerful remedy for swollen gums.
Content thymol oil from these seeds, is anesthetic and has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Use ajwain seeds or essential oil. Here are the two ways to use ajwain for swollen gums.
Method # 1
- Grill (dry) 1 to 2 tbsp. Ajwain seeds until a pleasant smell appears (be careful not to burn them)
- Grind or pound the roasted seeds to obtain a powder
- Add a few drops of mustard oil to this powder to make a pasty consistency
- Apply this paste on your gums
Method # 2
- Add a few drops of Ajowan essential oil to a little water
- Rinse your mouth vigorously with this water for a few minutes
8. Castor oil
Castor oil has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, not to mention its anti-inflammatory and analgesic qualities. All these properties of castor oil make it one of the very good remedies for treating swollen gums..
It also strengthens the lymphatic system. Ensures good lymphatic drainage and detoxifies the blood. When this waste is not properly expelled, toxins build up in your body and lead to inflammation and other illnesses.
When you apply castor oil to the skin, it is absorbed by the tissues, it helps boost your lymphocyte count.. Lymphocytes are cells that help fight disease. With a good level of lymphocytes, your body speeds up the process of removing toxins from the tissues. This reduces swelling and promotes healing.
- Mix it with castor oil with powdered camphor (optional) to get a pasty consistency
- Apply on swollen gums and rub gently for a few minutes to get rid of the inflammation
- If you are not using camphor, just rub castor oil on your swollen gums for a few minutes.
9. Babul bark
Babul bark is one of the best remedies for swollen gums, but also for the overall health of teeth and gums. It is widely used in India and is one of the most popular Ayurvedic herbs for dental problems..
It’s a astringent plant rich in tannins. What gives him this ability to contract tissue which helps reduce the flow of blood to the inflamed area of the gums.
- Boil babul bark in water until the initial amount is reduced by half
- Let cool and rinse your mouth with this water to get rid of swollen gums
- To do 2-3 times a day.
10. Baking soda
Baking soda is alkaline in nature and makes the environment inside your mouth hostile to the survival of bacteria and other unwanted microbes.. It neutralizes acidic waste produced by bacteria.
Plus you get whiter teeth when brushing with baking soda paste.
- Add a little water to baking soda to make a paste
- Rub this paste along your gum in a gentle massage
- For whiter teeth, brush your teeth with this paste
11. Ginger and salt
Ginger is a well-known anti-inflammatory agent. Thanks to its antioxidant properties, it is able to inhibit the production of inflammatory compounds. The anti-inflammatory compounds in ginger are better known as gingerol.
- Crush 3 cm of ginger root to obtain its paste
- Add a pinch of salt to 1 teaspoon of ginger paste
- If necessary, add a little water for a softer dough
- Apply on your gums by massaging gently for a minute
- To do 2-3 times a day